EU VAT Compliance plugin has been renamed
Shortly after we started working on our solution to help with EU VAT compliance, we gave it the name we used later on to announce it. While we were working on our product, we stumbled upon a plugin, developed by one of our customers and collaborators, which has the same purpose and the same name, and a slightly different set of features.
Initially, we didn’t think about changing our plugin’s name, as we were focused on getting it ready on time. Now that the product has been released, we realised that having two plugins with the same name and a similar purpose is not a good idea. It would cause confusion amongst users, and also mess up WordPress’ automatic updates mechanism, which would show updates available for the wrong plugin (i.e. it will tell you that there are updates available for the EU VAT Compliance plugin, while, in fact, it’s another product). Last, but not least, we don’t want to “hijack” visitors who are looking for the alternative plugin, developed by David Anderson.
For the above reasons, the EU VAT Compliance plugin is now called EU VAT Assistant.
Since the plugin has been renamed, it’s folder is also different. To upgrade, please follow the instructions below:
- Take note of the configuration settings. Settings keys also changed, and the plugin will have to be reconfigured (only this time!)
- Deactivate and uninstall the EU VAT Compliance plugin.
- Upload and activate the new EU VAT Assistant plugin.
- Go to WooCommerce > EU VAT Assistance setting page.
- Re-apply the settings you saved at step #1 and click on “Save settings”.
All the orders that had been processed by the previous plugin will maintain their data.